House fires can happen in a flash. According to the National Fire Protection Association, an estimated 354,400 U.S. homes catch fire annually—which is roughly $6.9 million in damages.
Fortunately, understanding how house fires start and any common fire hazards can help you reduce your risk for fire-related incidents (and keep your family safe!).
When cooking (especially with a gas stove), you have to be cautious. U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated average of 172,100 house fires started by cooking each year between 2012-2016. To avoid any mishaps, it’s best to always stay in the kitchen when you are frying or broiling food and to turn off the stovetop before you leave the room.
Smoking indoors is one of the most common causes of house fires in the U.S. To reduce your risk of a house fire, always smoke outside and extinguish your cigarettes in an ashtray. Never toss a burning cigarette butt into a trash can—it might not be fully put out and it can reignite near something flammable.
Winter (specifically January, February, and March) is the most common time for house fires caused by heating equipment. Be wary of portable space heaters—they are more likely to cause house fires than central HVAC. Only use them in well-ventilated spaces and keep them away from flammable objects.
Fireplace chatter can be dangerous as well. If you decide to use a wood-burning fireplace, it’s best to keep it covered at all times to avoid any rogue sparks. Installing a spark screen or glass door is a safety measure we’d highly recommend.
Old, frayed, or worn appliance cords are another major cause of house fires in the U.S. Follow safe practices with any and all appliance cords and you should be in the clear. Replace any worn or damaged cords ASAP and never overload your extension cords or wall plugs.
Blow out candles before you leave a room and always before you leave the house. Never place candles near curtains or any other flammable objects. If you have small children or pets, consider LED-candles or fragrance plug-ins instead of wick-burning candles.
Have an older home? You should also consider faulty wiring. Older homes can be prone to electrical fires. If you notice anything unusual (such as lights dimming while using an appliance), have an electrician inspect your home’s wiring before disaster strikes.
Kids can be quite curious. Sadly, this can get them in trouble if they find a stray lighter lying around. If you have children, it’s best to lock away anything they can potentially light a fire with. Always keep your lighters and matches out of reach. Also, never leave children unattended with stoves, candles, or fireplaces.
When disaster strikes, we’re here to help. 970 Services provides quality restoration and roofing services to resolve damage caused by hail, wind, water, fire, mold, smoke, and soot. Located in Loveland, Colorado, we aim to help locals return their fire-damaged homes to normal and minimize the stress felt by each person affected.
You can feel confident when hiring 970 Services to restore your home. Give us a call today at (970) 888-0970 or contact us online. We’ll be in touch ASAP.
We also offer roof repair, roof replacement, and fire restoration service in the following areas: Fort Collins, Loveland, Ault, Greeley, Denver, Windsor, Boulder, Longmont, and throughout Northern Colorado.
I can’t recommend 970 Services enough! We had extensive hail damage & Andrew Golding came out & was so kind, grace filled & helpful. We had a hard time dealing with insurance & they partnered with me on the process making the roof replacement the easiest part of our hail damage experience. A++ you can’t go wrong! I absolutely would hire them again in a heartbeat.
We are very pleased with 970 Services work and their customer service. Our roof was damaged from hail and needed to be replaced. Aaron worked with our insurance supplemental team and ensured we got the full amount that was owed to us. He also made sure the work was done correctly on our roof with a post inspection. Very professional and friendly. Thank you 970 Services for all your help! Definitely recommend!
Steve and his crew have done several projects at our house (water remediation, painting, plumbing, minor electrical, etc.), and I would use them again in a heartbeat. They are professional, responsive, and do top quality work. Their detailed estimates show where every penny goes, and they let you know if something needs to change. It's a great feeling to know that I can reach out to Steve if there's a problem, and he'll find a way to solve it.
We had a water leak from our hot water heater and our insurance company recommended 970 Services. I cannot tell you how great they were. Steve scheduled us quickly, did a very thorough inspection of damages, set up drying equipment and got things headed in the right direction. He then coordinated all necessary sub contractors for drywall, flooring, and even requested to be present when the insurance adjuster arrived so that they couldn’t skimp on us. This is the company you want to work with and I will never call anyone else! Thank you Steve & 970!
WOW is the best word to describe our experience with this company and it’s employee’s! Talk about having integrity in what you do!!😃 The professionalism, attention to detail, craftsmanship and personable interactions blew my husband and me away. We have had plenty of not so good experiences and this company has restored our faith to trust a precessional to not only do their job well but to go above and beyond expectations. I’ve referred them to my family and friends and would refer them to any stranger. Thank you guys for taking such good care of our home! C. Rhamy